Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Experts in the Industry: John Andrews (66 of 45)

While I haven't actually met John Andrews, Emerging Media Sr. Manager at Wal-Mart Stores, Inc. and adjunct professor at NWACC, I played him once on TV. Okay, that last part is a lie... but I am looking forward to connecting with John later this month, maybe over some BBQ at the Salt Lick here in Austin. What I can tell you about John is that he's a smart guy and COMPLETELY gets the world of "social." For starters, he's an active participant on Twitter AND, he also keeps a "life-streaming" blog about life with his wife and daughter.

I could go one but I shan't keep you from hearing more from John himself. Here are his answers to the Experts in the Industry series:

In one sentence, please describe what you do and why you’re good at it.
I am a student of social media and spend time thinking about how to blend it with traditional marketing to amplify engagement with consumers. I am successful at this when I do a good job of listening.

How did you get into the world of online community, social media or social marketing?
Accepted a position on the Walmart emerging media team a year or so ago.

If you had $10 million to invest in one company and one company only based on their use of “social,” which company would it be and why?
Kogi BBQ. They've mastered the craft and created a brand solely on the use of social (a great product probably doesn't hurt either)

Which business leader, politician or public figure do you most respect?
I have always had a ton of respect for Mike Krzyzewski. Smart, passionate, driven. Defined his craft, loves his family, graduates his players. Oh, and I kind of like Duke.

Would you join a toothpaste community? Why?
Probably not, but I would visit one if I needed specific information especially if it blended expert and consumer views.

[NOTE: John did send me this link this AM so he's thought about "toothpaste/toothbrushing communities more than you would think]

Freeform – here’s where you can riff on anyone or anything – good or bad. Or just share a pearl of wisdom.
I believe social media can accomplish three key things. Help the hand raisers, connect passionates and give consumers an active role in managing brands. I don't think of social media as a replacement of traditional media but rather try to consider how the two will alter each other. I greatly enjoy being involved in the space on a daily basis and often relate it to the early fifties and working on the advent of TV.

No comments:

Post a Comment