Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Experts in the Industry: Peter Fasano (35 of 45)

I only met Peter Fasano, Global Interactive Marketing, Social Media Marketing Manager, The Coca Cola Company a couple of months ago (we started on Twitter) but I had the pleasure of meeting him in real life a few weeks ago. The reason for the meeting was that Peter was kind enough to invite Powered to attend/sponsor the Social Media Club Atlanta's SXSW Mixer event. Not only was the event a great one (I met lots of other cool social media professionals) but I got to get to know Peter a little bit better and confirmed that he was every bit as savvy and smart as I had expected.

With that as a backdrop, let's see how one of Coke's best and brightest answered the five questions from the Experts in the Industry interview series:

In one sentence, please describe what you do and why you’re good at it. 
I am an accidental digital marketing consultant that draws insights from decades of consuming media, creating media and technology. 

How did you get into the world of online community, social media or social marketing?
Through the wisdom of a brilliant co-worker Robert Occhialini / bump
He turned me onto Cluetrain Manifesto and weblogs in 2000. Then in practice when I moved into consulting media companies in 2006 when I realized that the balance of media was shifting. Since that time, it has been my passion and occupation. 

If you had $10 million to invest in one company and one company only based on their use of “social,” which company would it be and why?
My biased answer is Social Media Club. I am biased as I am the co-organizer of Social Media Club Atlanta. I have been involved with the club since 2007 when I connected with the group in San Francisco and have been actively involved in the conversations, standards and practices and network of members since then. The charter and growth of the Club has been tremendous – If you get it, Share it. The organization has connected me to friends, thought leaders and geographies in very meaningful ways. The additional funds to further develop education outreach and advocacy would offer a superb resource to both individuals and business to share their wisdom of operating in a social ecosystem. 

Which business leader, politician or public figure do you most respect? 
Jimmy Carter for his life of service, honesty and faith. 

I do not think I would join a toothpaste community but would join a smile community. A toothpaste community sounds like it is about the brand and not the community – the community defines the brand in my world. I remember a few years back the agency I was with, was researching keywords for a SEO engagement on behalf of a toothpaste brand. I recall the keyword analysis communicating a story to me about life events, photos, health and wellness. These attributes sound like the foundation of an interesting community about the ups and downs of having healthy teeth, gums and a smile.   

Freeform – here’s where you can riff on anyone or anything – good or bad. Or just share a pearl of wisdom. 
On Social Media: I am excited by innovation and the millions of ways to currently connect and share. I am amazed how my network and platforms have enabled me to keep my finger on the pulse of innovation and community without being in San Francisco, Seattle, Austin, New York or London. I look forward to the further growth of community outside the social networks through Facebook Connect and Friend Connect to enhance discovery and sharing.

On Marketing: I am shocked by the bewilderment that social media has thrust upon traditional, many digital agencies and there brand clients. The isolation from the consumer or other agencies is not a reality any longer. As marketers, we must seek integration of the community into the brand and the integration of social media marketing tactics and measurement into the overall planning and execution of campaigns to redefine how brands approach modern marketing. 
On my dream job:  taqueria and fruteria owner.

No comments:

Post a Comment