Monday, March 9, 2009

Experts in the Industry: Meg Fowler (41 of 45)

As I mentioned in this morning's Experts in the Industry post featuring friend, Jennifer Leggio, I am tickled to death to have two of the smartest AND funniest women in the socialsphere on Citizen Marketer in the same day. The second of these two lovely ladies is none other than blogger and co-founder of social media for social change, Meg Fowler!

I distinctly remember that when I first started following Meg, the first thing that caught my eye was her about me page. Most bloggers I know try and keep their bio's light and even funny but Meg took hers to a whole new level. In particular, the fourth line from the bottom of her bio said it all. It reads, "I probably like hockey more than you do." How could I not read/follow Meg after a statement like that?

With that as a backdrop, find out how the woman who "probably likes hockey more than you do" answered the five questions from the Experts in the Industry series:

In one sentence, please describe what you do and why you're good at it.
I help people get their message across more effectively, by distilling their thoughts, concepts and ideas into words -- and I'm good at it because I drink my weight in coffee each day. 

How did you get into the world of online community, social media or social marketing?
I think my first online community was Orkut -- I started blogging at Salon.com, and someone invited me to join. And although my time there was pretty short-lived, being conversational in ANY space is a natural inclination of mine. If you follow me on Twitter, you know that's the case. 

And I'm sorry.:-) 

I'm not one to join every social network or platform, though -- I pick a couple and invest as best I can, instead of getting all overwhelmed by all the spots that need updating. I do Facebook and Twitter, primarily, along with my blog at MegFowler.com

If you had $10 million to invest in one company and one company only based on their use of "social," which company would it be and why?
Well, I think I owe Twitter right about that much money because I met the love of my life there (not to mention a bunch of clients and several fantastic friends.) 

I *should* probably wait for a business model to emerge, though the idea that they'd just fritter it away on donuts is appealing to me in some way (see what I did there? That pun? Yeah. That's why I'm so good.) 

Which business leader, politician or public figure do you most respect?
I really loved Paul Newman, actually. He possessed a fantastic combination of talent, conviction, humility, and fierce intelligence that changed the landscape wherever he chose to get involved. 

He worked hard, he loved his family, he was up front about his beliefs and ideals, and he changed kids' lives... without ever being arrogant about his success at any of it. 

He was also incredibly funny and ridiculously handsome -- and I can't say I mind either of those qualities in a man. 

Would you join a toothpaste community? Why?
I sat staring at this question wondering whether it was literal -- a community about toothpaste -- or you were using some new buzzword for a type of community. 

Then I tried to think of what kind of community would be called a "toothpaste community": a super-fresh one? One that squeezes the emotion out of you? One that leaves a great taste in your mouth? One in which you can never take back anything you gush out? One recommended by 4 out of 5 dentists? 

Then I smacked myself in the head. 

I'd join a toothpaste community if one of my friends created it for a brand and needed support -- I think that's probably the only reason it would appeal to me. Though I bet I could chat it up about toothpaste as well as I could chat it up about anything. 

In fact... Crest: holla back at your girl! 

Freeform - here's where you can riff on anyone or anything - good or bad. Or just share a pearl of wisdom.

"People are more fun than anybody." -- Dorothy Parker

1 comment: