Sunday, March 15, 2009

Experts in the Industry: Jim Turner (48 of 45)

One good turn deserves another... today, we feature someone that I've followed on Twitter for a LONG time (his code name is @genuine) but behind the mask and cape is none other than Jim Turner, founder of One by One Media. Recently, Jim had me on his BlogTalkRadio show and so today, I'm giving him some love on this blog. I'll also be doing a live show with him sometime later today or tomorrow (will tweet the link).

Here's how my man, Jim, answered THE five questions from the Experts in the Industry series:

In one sentence, please describe what you do and why you're good at it.
With my background, I have become good at understanding people and their business goals, and I know how to teach people to apply the tools of social media to their businesses to reach these goals and make their businesses a success.

How did you get into the world of online community, social media or social marketing?
I started out as a Daddy blogger, writing about being a father and husband, and the trials and tribulations of those roles. It was the camaraderie of that community that made me realize the power that Internet communities actually wielded. I realized, too, that participation in such communities could benefit businesses wanting to be in the online world. Companies began to approach me on how I might help them do the same thing. In spite of working in the legal world for 22 years, social media felt like a natural progression and I jumped in and haven't looked back.

If you had $10 million to invest in one company and one company only based on their use of "social," which company would it be and why?
The best response to that would be my own company. With a little capital I could rule the social media world. I'm not sure that the cool stuff has happened that would cause me to write a check. The companies that are leaders now, Facebook, Twitter, and Google are on top of the wave, I want to be in the beginning of the next wave. Being a Dad and subjected to ideas of the future, I can see the next big thing is in the mobile world. Anyone with children can see that one coming. The iPhone is just the beginning and if you made me give it away today it would be Apple and their journey down that path.

Which business leader, politician or public figure do you most respect?
I may have picked the popular Prom King candidate here, but I have to say Gary Vaynerchuck. Not because of what he has done in the past and how he has achieved his current rock stardom in our world, but because he worries about his legacy--how he will be remembered. He will be. He should be a respected role model for all of us.

Would you join a toothpaste community? Why?
That would depend on the purpose of the community? Are they saving the environment, helping get toothpaste into the hands of those that are paste challenged, or are they trying to keep the toothgels from taking over? Probably not, but if they could tell me how to get that minty fresh smell and stain out of the carpet that my then 2 year old son decided he would use as a canvas for his art project I would be much obliged.

Freeform – here's where you can riff on anyone or anything – good or bad. Or just share a pearl of wisdom.
Participate in life. Be passionate. Whether you are an individual or a business. No matter what else you do, participation will make you successful and passion will insure it. Your level of participation and passion will be proportional to your success.

Thanks Aaron for allowing me to be a part of this fun and exciting project. God bless and I'm very much looking forward to having you on my radio show and of course seeing you at SXSW. [My pleasure]

No comments:

Post a Comment