Thursday, February 5, 2009

Experts in the Industry: Sam Lawrence (12 of 45)

Okay, Sam Lawrence, CMO of Jive Software, is officially back on the horse and I just can't ignore it. He's now done two blog posts in a row and he's up to his usual antics on Twitter.

I had the pleasure of meeting Sam last year at SXSW in the bloggers lounge. I knew within two minutes that I liked him a lot. Not only was he smart (I could tell from reading his blog) but he was funny and as he likes to say, he "goes big always." So even though Sam was scheduled to go up in this series next week, I couldn't resist putting him earlier than I was supposed to (hey, it's my damn blog, right?)

So without further adieu, here are sames five answers to my Experts in the Industry: 45 Interviews in 45 Days series. Pay close attention to Sam's "pearl of wisdom" at the end. I nearly spit out my coffee after he e-mailed me his reponses.

In one sentence, please describe what you do and why you’re good at it.
I go big. I can grow the impossible. I make smiles happen.

How did you get into the world of online community, social media or social marketing?
Well, it’s one big, evolving world. And I’ve always gone where that world needs me. If there’s a new edge to be made, I’ll sharpen it. That or I’ll blindly run into someone else’s edge and start bleeding. We are all social monkeys. And now business is social again.  

If you had $10 million to invest in one company and one company only based on their use of “social,” which company would it be and why?
If I had $10 million to invest I’d buy a football-field trampoline and invite everyone to take some time to jump.  Then I’d use the rest of the money for stupid stuff. 

Which business leader, politician or public figure do you most respect?
I like co-workers and the people I meet on Twitter. 

Would you join a toothpaste community? Why?
I’d rather swallow bleach. 

Freeform – here’s where you can riff on anyone or anything – good or bad. Or just share a pearl of wisdom.
Don’t sit on other people’s laps in the middle of a meeting.  

No comments:

Post a Comment