Thursday, November 6, 2008

Why CMOs Don't Engage in Social Media

I did my first Utterli in a week or so this morning. My topic was "Why CMOs Don't Engage in Social Media."



The actual podcast version was pretty short but I just expanded my point in text format (cross-posted on Utterli). Here are the three main reasons:

  1. With a team reporting into you, you spend A LOT of time making sure everyone is coordinated and getting the support they need. Fortunately, my new team rocks!
  2. Lots more meetings. There's CEO Staff, marketing staff, one on ones, weekly status meetings, etc.
  3. Overseeing a function within an organization requires a lot of planning, strategy, measurement and execution. I've spent many hours this week just reviewing PPTs.

With that said, there is NO excuse for CMOs not to participate in social media. In fact, it's more important now than ever. At the end of the day, it's about discipline and MAKING the time.

4 comments:

  1. New blog right? Haven't caught up in a while, but love this topic. You need to walk the talk. Saw a blog post today from someone (who shall remain nameless)touting the benefits of twitter and their experience online. A quick check of their twitter handle? 7 followers, and 23 updates...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aaron
    congratulations on the new role. Are you moving to TX?
    I'm adding you to my blogroll here www.marketexture.net

    let's stay in touch!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aaron - congrats on the new position. I do have to disagree with you on CMO using social media...there are plenty of execs who I know that are fairly far along :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Guys, thanks for the feedback/well wishes on this post.

    -Ty, totally hear you on the "self-professed" marketing/social media experts.

    -Dewey, will add you to my Google Reader/blogroll as well

    -Francois, thanks. We should definitely catch up soon. Regarding your comment, I actually agree with you. My point was more, "I can see why most CMO's don't do this since it takes a) a shift in mindset and b) time and energy. With that said, my guess is that only 5-10% of all CMO's engage in SM.

    ReplyDelete